Friday, July 15, 2011

Gratitude

Yesterday started out great and then got crazy.  I got up early with Chad and watched him get ready for school and started thinking about my day.  Since I was up, I decided to get to school early and start work on my presentation research for Sociology.  No biggie.  Did some review work on the computer (my new laptop that my husband bought me for school:  Love it: Thanks Chad) for class that day and started a load of laundry.  Spilled laundry detergent on myself.  Took a shower.  Got soap in my eye.   Sprayed the shower with chemicals to clean it later and inhaled fumes.  Had a coughing fit.  Got dressed.  Percy stole my sock.  Found it in the yard.  Finished dressing and tried to leave the house.  Cant find my Debit Card.  Called Wachovia (now Wells Fargo).  New card in 5-7 days.  GREAT!!!  Not, all my cash is in the bank.  Wonderful. 
Now I'm running late for the timeline I had established for my day.
Feeling really down and a little depressed.  I call my sponsor.  "Having a rough day.  Things are going downhill fast.  Snowballing.  Any suggestions on how to turn this around?"  He sends back to me:  "Gratitude list.  Start with "I am sober".  So I did.  I used my gratitude to get me through the day.

It still went downhill a little but it picked up by the end.  I didn't get the grade I wanted on my last test.  Found out that I got the wrong information from an advisor at the beginning of summer when I registered for classes and can't take what I want in the fall because I don't have the proper pre-requisite.  So, with the test, I looked at my syllabus and can still get an A in the class with the material still yet to present to the teacher.  With my courses for next semester, I talked to another advisor and to Chad and it's all going to be okay.  I can take the classes I can take, still be able to work full time and I won't be off my timeline for graduating the nursing program at all.  Just have to work a little harder in the spring of next year.  All of these are very accomplishable goals. 
The point I'm trying to get across is this.  Losing track of the things that keep us centered and grounded can cause a snowball effect.  Realizing that this was happening, I took a moment, reached out and found my center again.  Put everything into its proper perspective and realized that I am in a much better place than I was, than some people are and never will be and that I needto take every minute possible and be GRATEFUL.
Thanks Haig for keeping me grounded.  Thank you Chad for showing me love.  Thank you God for giving me the courage to go on day to day.

No comments:

Post a Comment