Monday, June 2, 2014

Some Good Things Never Last

Earlier today I got some news that made me a little sad.  One of my favorite places in Key West is closing down.  Finnegans Wake is only one of many Irish pubs that dot the island but this one in particular holds special meaning to me.  For over 20 years I have been visiting this establishment.

When I was in college in Miami, my frat brothers and I would come down for different occasions (fantasy Fest being the biggest) and it wouldnt be a trip without stopping in at Finnegans.  It's the first time I tried a cider beer.  And loved it.  After graduation, began what would become years and years of traveling to Key West under the name of Outback Steakhouse.  Once again, Fantasy Fest was the main reason, but it soon became one of several reasons to visit the keys.  My friend Lara and I made several trips on our own because of men.  Finnegans would always be one of our stops.

During the course of one of these visits with my friend Amy, it became the meeting point.  We had gone down to help out at the Outback and work for a week (turned in to two) and met some people that would become lifelong friends.  All I can say is Fred's apartment on the dock isn't an apartment anymore.  Fred didn't marry Amy as I thought it would happen and we all still remember those long nights and jeep rides and things that would frighten fish.  And it usually started at Finnegans.  It where I developed my not-so-irish Irish accent (that I have been warned by a true Irishman to please not used for the 10 days I'm in Ireland or he's afraid I might not come back).

Later on, I moved to Key West and once again Finnegans was central to my life.  It became one of my favorite eating places.  The Mac and Cheese is just incredible.  It has cauliflower and broccoli in it and Irish bacon.  Amazing.  When I got out of rehab, Chad asked me what I wanted for dinner and I was craving a burger from Finnegans.  For St. Patty's day, they would clear all the tables out of the bar and block off the street on the side and it was THE place to be in Key West that wasn't on Duval Street.  It was the place I also told my boss that I was stepping down from management and staying at Outback since I had become involved with an employee and didn't want to leave. Still the best decision I ever made.

Last month I went back to KW to visit and I'm very happy now that Erica and I went there for dinner one night and we had the Mac and Cheese and I got my burger.  I'm sure there are many other things I just don't remember that happened there and I'm sure there will be many more good things to come to the place that takes over.  It's just so sad.....some good things never last.

No comments:

Post a Comment